If you haven’t heard of Netflix by now, you may have been living under a rock. If that is the case, then read on!
Netflix is an entertainment streaming service. What does that mean? Well, it’s sort of like renting a DVD or VHS (remember Blockbusters?), but instead of buying renting one or 2 movies you get thousands for one monthly fee and you don’t even have to leave your home, it’s sent straight to your TV, mobile phone or tablet.
Netflix is an ‘on-demand’ service. Meaning you don’t wait for the programme to come on at a particular time of day. You see a film or programme you like and you can just start watching it..
When you hit play a little bit of the film is downloaded to your TV, and as you watch that bit of the film, the next bit of the film is downloaded over your internet connection. This process continues until all the chunks of the film have loaded.
Now if you have a good enough internet connection (which nowadays is suggested around 3Mb for standard definition and around 5mb for HD), you won’t even notice it downloading. You’ll watch the film from start to finish it with no interuptions.
Need to make a tea? No worries, pause the film and off you go…that’s right, just like watching a DVD you can pause rewind fast forward your film as an when you like. Need to go out? No problems, turn your TV off or close the NetFlix app and come back later and you can pick up just where you left off.
Going a way for a few days, no trouble, carry on watching where you left off but watch it on your phone or tablet.
As long you as you have an internet connection where that be at home, or on public wi-fi, you can watch netflix with any compatible device, which to be honest, is most phones, tables, computers, tvs.
Here’s the juicy bit….from only £5.99 per month, you can watch as many programmes as you want as many times you want. There are 1000s and 1000s or titles to choose from.
From entire series classics like Only Fools and Horses and Fawlty Towers, to Hollywood blockbuster films, award-winning documentaries, kids programmes and even Netflix’s own Originals, you’ll find every genre covered.
Well 66 million people would disagree. With Netflix being the most popular TV streaming service and accounting for around 15% all internet downstream traffic, here are some more reason, why it’s worth checking out.
- Free trial – try it for 30 days absolutely free (you’ll need to use a credit/debit card to set it up, but you can cancel before the 30 days is up with no ties)
- Multiple users – Depending on which subscription package you go for, you can have up 4 separate users + a dedicated children’s user…meaning everyone gets to watch their own favourite programs, pause them where they want, and get tailored recommendations.
- Download for later – On the go, download your films, tv episodes to your phone or tablet before you leave the house and watch them on the go with no internet connection!
- It’s very compatible – IT works with over 1000 devices. Don’t have a smart TV? No problems, you can get a smart dongle (little electronic box) you can plugin to your existing tv to let you watch Netflix (amongst may other services). Popular models in Roku, Chromecast, Amazon Fire and many more.
So what are you waiting for, you’ll wonder how you managed without it. You may even find yourself binge-watching an entire series in or film trilogy in one hit!
Some interesting Netflix facts:
- It’s available in over 190 countries
- It started as a DVD rental by post service.